Label Testing Laboratory
Our label laboratory ensures we provide industry-leading local research and development services for our clients. That allows us to rigorously screen new materials and products before launch, conduct comparative and quality control tests, and perform quality investigations. Our laboratory is a key resource that allows us to deliver world-class technical support.
This invaluable resource allows us to support our clients with industry-leading research and development services. We rigorously screen new materials and products before launch, conduct comparative and quality control tests, and perform quality investigations. This ensures we specify the right labels for your unique labeling requirement, whether it be an unusual application surface, a difficult application environment, or a challenging supply chain.
Our experienced technologist uses specialists and customized equipment specific to labels to perform a wide range of tests. Many of the tests we perform are accredited and meet international standards such as FINAT and ISO. We also develop specialized and proprietary testing programs to solve the unique labeling challenges of our clients. If you are having label issues, thinking about altering your labeling process or wanting to seamlessly change a material construction, we can help.
Some of the proprietary testing services that we offer our clients include:
- Material identification –determines specific face stocks or constructions.
- Adhesion testing – measures the peeling or bond strength of the adhesive and assesses the initial tack.
- Application performance – investigation of a label’s ability to release from the liner on application machines.
- A variety of moisture-related tests:
- Water spray test – measures the amount of water that is absorbed into the surface of the label to assess how well the label will stay adhered to in cold, wet, and condensated environments.
- Cobb test – measures water absorption and the effectiveness of the paper top sheet to repel the water, mainly used in the wine industry.
- Ice Bucket test –a test specific to the wine industry that measures the performance of a labeled bottle immersed in a water and ice bath. This determines the label’s stability and resistance to damage during storage in an ice bucket.
- Moisture resistance test – measures the amount of moisture that is absorbed into a label’s top sheet or coating using a mix of isopropyl alcohol solution and water. This is particularly useful when a product is going to be stored in a fridge or cool store situation.
- Thermal performance – measures direct thermal print durability and image quality.
- Environmental stability – tests to suit a variety of factors such as UV stability, compostability, freezer, steam, heat, water, or weather.
- Chemical resistance –measure the label’s resistance to oil, plasticizer, acid, and alkaline.
- Conditioning assessment – measure the performance of the printed label on products under extreme environmental conditions such as hazardous materials, direct exposure to chemicals, and extreme temperatures.
- Quality control – measures the coating levels, laminate adhesions, dine levels, and die strike.
- Slip test – measures how slippery the surface of a coating or ink is to ensure optimal shrink sleeve application.
- Transportation simulation – we even have a machine that simulates what happens to a carton of the product when shipped via road, to measure the impact of transport on the label in the supply chain.
- Custom evaluations – testing and evaluation specific to a client’s business to ensure labels are fit for their intended purpose.
Our team of label experts are uniquely qualified to solve your labeling challenges – we’d be delighted to work with you.
Friction resistance testing machine
Adhesive label holding adhesion tester
Electric heating constant temperature drying oven
Standard light source to color lightbox